Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brainpower? The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building background knowledge—all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
Wilcox Public Library’s 1,000 Books B4 Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to five years can participate. Just follow these steps:
- Register: Sign up at the Wilcox Public Library or online via the “Reader Zone” app (or website) [see directions at the bottom of the page] or the downloadable registration form. Pick up program materials at the library or print them out below.
- Track Your Reading: Write down each book you read with your child on your reading record OR use the “Reader Zone” app or website to log the books that you’ve read. (The online log would be easier for the library to manage.)
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book, again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
- 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books your child will receive a special reward (sticker, bookmark, etc.).
- 1,000 Books: You did it! Come celebrate at the library, see your child’s name placed on the 1,000 Book Wall of Fame, and receive a special prize.
- Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000…Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills. Visit the Library often for free programs that are fun and educational for your little one and to find great books to share with your child.
One thousand books may seem impossible, however, if you read just one book a night, you’ll meet your goal in less than 3 years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year! But don’t feel rushed!
Ask our friendly staff for suggestions or check here for our listing of great books to get you started—we’re here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books B4 Kindergarten! Happy Reading! Reach your goal in just one year! But don’t feel rushed!
START AT ANY AGE:
- If your child is 0 years old – read 1 book per DAY or 4 books per WEEK to complete the program.
- If your child is 1 year old – read 1 book per DAY or 5 books per WEEK to complete the program.
- If your child is 2 years old – read 1 book per DAY or 7 books per WEEK to complete the program.
- If your child is 3 years old – read 2 books per DAY or 10 books per WEEK to complete the program.
- If your child is 4 years old – read 3 books per DAY or 20 books per WEEK to complete the program.
Downloads for the Program
Additional Downloads to Assist You
- 101 Great Picture Books for Preschoolers
- Books on the Go Guide
- Easy Reader Books
- Great Books about Nutrition and Activity
- Great Books for Infants and Toddlers
- Informational Picture Books
Reader Zone Instructions
Join our 1000 Books B4 Kindergarten reading program today by doing the following:
- Download the Reader Zone app for your Apple, Android, or Amazon device.
- Create your account and add reader(s).
- Join our program with the code 8b71d; select the group your child belongs to (what year will they start Kindergarten).
- Keep logging your reading until you reach your goal, prizes will be earned as you go along.
- If you don’t have a mobile device, you can sign up at the Reader Zone website.